These oven-backed zucchini fries are super simple and easy to make. They require no more than 10 minutes of preparation time and are so delicious you’ll be tempted to eat the whole plate on your own!
Why Prepare Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries?
- They are so delicious you’ll be desperate to eat the whole plate on your own!
It’s a perfect addition to a dinner table if you’ve got the extra couple of minutes and an empty oven to do it.
- Whenever you are desperate for something filled with cheese and salty, this snack will save the day!
This recipe is super simple and easy. The preparation shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes and the only effort required in the end is pacing yourself when eating it too quickly. 😋
How To Prepare Oven-Baked Zucchini Sticks?
The first thing you will need is to have the necessary ingredients prepared on hand.
For this recipe, you’ll need 2 medium-sized zucchinis and 2 cloves of garlic. I chose to use mozzarella cheese this time, but you are free to choose whatever cheese you like. For me, it’s typically whatever is left in the fridge 😜
The same applies to bread crumbs and sour cream. It happened that I had Italian-styled seasoned bread crumbs, but honestly, anything will do. Even if you just have old dried bread that you can crumble into pieces quickly.
Shred Cheese & Mix With Bread Crumbs
The next step is to shred the cheese. It doesn’t really matter whether you use the smaller or the larger side of the cheese grater. For me, it’s much simpler to use the larger one. In the end, it doesn’t really have an impact on the taste.
At this point, you want to prepare the sour cream too. I honestly forgot to take a photo of it. But here’s how it goes: mince two cloves of garlic. Then add it to a bowl of sour cream. Sprinkle some salt based on your taste preferences and mix thoroughly.
Chop Zucchini Into Bars
This step is pretty simple. I like to chop my zucchini into long strips. I feel like it’s easier to grab a bite and it cooks more evenly in the oven.
You can use a large knife to make the process easier. In the end, it doesn’t really matter how you cut them… they’re still going to turn out amazing! 😀
Dip, Toss & Spread Onto Baking Sheet
Before you do this, line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
Then dip each zucchini slice into the sour cream bowl and then toss it well in cheese and bread crumbs.
Spread each piece evenly on baking sheet.
Watch It Like a Hawk
This one is a little tricky!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and then bake your future zucchini fries for 8-15 minutes. The key here is not to miss and let them turn dark brown. You want the slices to turn golden brown.
Flip each one upside down and cook for another 8-15 minutes. Each oven is different so see how long it takes to cook it in yours.
Serve Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries With Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
Now that you’ve got you tasty sticks ready, I suggest you quickly stir some sour cream with minced garlic and a little bit of dill.
It’s a perfect combination that will make you want to devour the whole plate on your own (I’m guilty of this at times).
- Watch the zucchini slices closely while they are in the oven. Each side is typically ready in 8-15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and garlic dipping sauce.
What type of cheese do you prefer?
It really doesn’t matter. I had some mozzarella lying in the fridge so that’s what I have used. It’s up to you really.
How much salt should I add?
Maybe a pinch or two of salt. Try a pinch and see how much you like it. Some people need a lot more salt than others. For me a pinch or two is fine.
What bread crumbs would you use?
Whatever you’ve got available at the time will work. I don’t think it will really have a critical impact on the taste.
Oven-Baked Zucchini FriesCourse: AppetizersCuisine: RussianDifficulty: Easy
250g sour cream
100g cheese of choice
4 tbsp bread crumbs
2 cloves of garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shred cheese and mix it in a bowl with bread crumbs.
- Mince two cloves of garlic and mix it with sour cream in a separate bowl. Add a pinch (or two) of salt depending on your taste.
- Slice zucchini with a knife into even size rectangular blocks.
- Dip each zucchini slice into sour cream first and then toss it into bread crumbs with cheese.
- Place the zucchini slices on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-15 minutes watching carefully.
- Once the top turns golden brown, take the baking sheet out and flip each slice upside down.
- Bake for another 8-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Optionally serve with a sour cream dipping sauce: mix minced garlic, dill, and sour cream.